I dropped the painting off at the Oxford around noon today. The show opens April 23 and the reception is May 7. It promises to be a great show, and I am really glad to be a part of it.
This painting began on January 29, and was, for all intensive purposes, completed on April 16. I would’ve liked to put a little more time into it, but I had a deadline to meet. As it is, I put in over 100 hours on this piece. I haven’t worked that much on one painting since grad school! It would be nice to be able to work on pieces at my own leisure, but the truth is, it’s the deadlines that help me to finish paintings. There is a saying, that no artwork is ever finished, only abandoned. Now, I don’t believe that’s actually true, but it often works out that way.
As for the name, I settled on Wedding Flowers. I tried to come up with something clever, but that’s never been my strong suit. I found myself in danger of going cliche, so I went for obvious instead.
I made sure for this painting, as well as for the last couple of projects, to keep careful record of the time I put in, and what I am able to accomplish. I love detail. It’s an important part of my work. But it’s too easy to get wrapped up in these small parts and lose sight of the whole piece.
Lucky for me, I have my husband to remind me to keep moving forward!
Now, on to my next project…